Tintern Abbey was a Cistercian monastery located on the Hook Peninsula, County Wexford, Ireland.

The Abbey – which is now in ruins, some of which have been restored – was founded in 1203 by William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, as a result of a promise he had made when his boat was caught in a storm nearby. Once established, the monastery was colonized by monks from the Cistercian abbey of Tintern in Monmouthshire, Wales, where the Marshal was also patron. To distinguish the two, was the mother house in Wales, which is sometimes called “Tintern Major” and its daughter abbey in Ireland as “Tintern de Voto (Tintern of the vow).

After the dissolution of the monasteries monastery and its grounds were first granted to Sir James Croft, and then in 1575 to Anthony Colclough Staffordshire, a soldier Henry VIII. His descendants became Colclough Baronets. The final member of the Colclough family to reside at Tintern was Lucey Marie Biddulph Colclough who donated the monastery to the nation.[1] Extensive research and restoration has taken place.

See also 

  • List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Wexford)


  1. Jump up ^ “Tintern Abbey”. Wexford Web. Pulled 05/05/2011.