The National Museum of Ireland (Irish: Ard-Mhúsaem na hÉireann ) is the National Museum of Ireland. It has three branches in Dublin and one in County Mayo, with a strong emphasis on Irish art, culture and natural history.


See also Category: Collection of the National Museum of Ireland

The National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology on Kildare Street has shown on prehistoric Ireland, including early work in gold, church treasures and artifacts from the Viking and medieval periods. Kingship and Sacrifice exhibition preserved bog bodies and Ralaghan Man. There are special displays of items from Egypt, Cyprus and the Roman world, and special exhibitions regularly mounted.

This section contains known examples of early medieval Celtic metal in Ireland such as the Ardagh Chalice, the Tara Brooch and Derrynaflan storage.Prehistoric pieces include järnåldernBroighter gold and over 50 gold lunulas (not all on display), and other Bronze Age jewelry. Many of these pieces were found in the 19th century by poor people or farm workers, when population expansion has led to the cultivation of land that had not been touched since the Middle Ages. In fact, without the intervention of George Petrie of the Royal Irish Academy and like-minded individuals from the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, most of the metal would have been melted down for the inherent value of its material, often did happen despite their ansträngningar.Samtida Irish are more intent on their heritage, as seen in the example of Irish Bog Psalter, which was discovered and reported by sacrificing a machine in July 2006.

The museums of both the above mentioned institutions formed the basis forarcheology and history section of the museum on Kildare Street. This is the original site was opened in 1890 as the Dublin Museum of Science and Art in the building designed by Thomas Newenham Deane and his son Thomas Manly Deane. Until 1922, the site also included Leinster House, now home to the Oireachtas.

Crafts and History

National Museum of Ireland – arts and crafts and history, including the Great Seal of the Irish Free State, is part of the collection kept at the Collins Barracks site, a former military barracks named after Michael Collins in 1922. This site, opened in 1997 also holds the museum’s administrative center, a shop and a cafe.

This section has displays of furniture, silver, ceramics and glass, as well as examples of folk life and costumes, and money and weapons. A Chinese porcelain vase from around 1300 AD, Fonthill vase, one of the functions.Special exhibitions are mounted regularly; the summer of 2007, for example, replicas of six Irish high crosses which are then displayed internationally.

Soldiers and Chiefs exhibition of military artifacts and memorabilia tracing Ireland’s military history from 1550 to today.

Country Life

Main article: Museum of Country Life

Country Life is the latest part of the museum to be opened. It is located just outside Turlough Village, on the N5 eight kilometers east of Castlebar, County Mayo, and opened in 2001.

The museum focuses on ordinary life from the mid 19’s to mid 20’s, with much of the material comes from the Irish countryside in the 1930s. There are screens on the website, the natural environment, communities and forces for change.

Natural History Museum

Main article: Natural History Museum (Ireland)

The Natural History Museum , which is part of the National Museum, although often regarded as distinct, is on Merrion Street in Dublin and houses samples of animals from all over the world. Its collection and Victorian appearance has not changed significantly since the beginning of the 20th century.

See also

  • Cross Cong


Selected references

  • Short stories Irish Barracks by Patrick Denis O’Donnell, in a Cosantoir(the Journal of the Irish Defence Forces), 1969-1973.
  • Dublin Collins Barracks throughout the years , by Patrick Denis O’Donnell Hollybough , December 1994.
  • Dublin Barracks – A Brief History of Collins Barracks , by Mairead Dunleavy, National Museum of Ireland , 2002 (based largely on the work of PD O’Donnell, as recognized in the foreword and thanks).