St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh  is the seat of the Archbishop of Armagh in the Church of Ireland. There are Armagh, Northern Ireland. It is also the Cathedral of the Diocese of Armagh.

History

The origin of the cathedral are related to the construction of the stone church at 445 Druim Sail Each (Willow Ridge) hill at St. Patrick, around which a monastery community development. The church was and is the center for the Church of Ireland. After Henrician Reformation in Ireland cathedral became increasingly associated with the then established church and has been settled in Anglican happening since the reign of Elizabeth I. A Roman Catholic cathedral was built on a nearby hill in the nineteenth century. Friendly relations existing between the two cathedrals.

The church itself has been destroyed and rebuilt 17 times. The building was renovated and restored under Dean Eoghan McCawell (1505-1549) at the beginning of the sixteenth century has suffered a devastating fire in 1511 and is in poor condition. Shortly after his death, the cathedral was described by the Lord Chancellor Cusack as “one of the fairest and best churches in Ireland”.  [1]  Again, it was substantially restored between 1834 and 1840 by Archbishop Lord John George Beresford and architect Lewis Nock Exalted in Cottingham. The fabric is still the medieval (and earlier – in particular the crypt) buildings, but much restored. While Cottingham was heavy-handed in its restoration research of TGF Patterson and Janet Myles at the end of the twentieth century have shown that restoring to have been especially antiquarian of his time. The tracery of the nave windows in particular are meticulous restorations that is a copy of the font. Capital decoration of the two westernmost pillar of the ship (either side of the West Door internal porch) is medieval as the bulk of the external gargoyle carvings (some resited) of the rack in East Arm. Cottingham intends to maintain rich cusped West Door with flanking niches heavens was over ruled. Later restorations have been more radically changed the internal proportions of the medieval building, proportions Cottingham had retained.

Many other Celtic and medieval carvings are to be seen in the cathedral which is also rich in eighteenth and nineteenth century sculpture. There are works of Chantry, Roubiliac, Rysbrack, Mirochetti and others.

Cathedral Foundation and Worship  Precentor – Reverend Terence Scott;Chancellor – Pastor Colin Moore; Treasurer – Pastor John McKegney;Archdeacon – The Venerable Raymond Hoey. Prebendaries: Mullabrack, Reverend WJA Dawson (2006) Bally, Reverend RJN Porteus (2006) Loughgall, Reverend JNT Campbell (2009) Tynan, Pastor WM Adair

Priest Vicars Choral: Pastor Peter Thompson, Succentor (2006) Pastor Michael Kennedy (1995) Pastor TA Cross (2006) Pastor EM Culbertson (2007) Pastor J Moore (2007) Reverend JM McClenaghan (2007)

The Choral Foundation, dating from Culdees and refounded as the Royal College of King Charles the Vicars Choral and organist at the Cathedral in Armagh, continues until today. There is generally a dozen men in the Lay Vicars Choral and sixteen boy choristers.

Every Sunday there are three services in the cathedral; 10:00 said the Eucharist, 11:00 Sung Eucharist (except the second Sunday of the month when sung Matins) and 3:15 Choral Evensong.Matins said, Monday to Saturday, at 09:30. On holidays and anniversaries, the Eucharist is celebrated at 9:30.

Notable burials

  • Marcus Gervais Beresford (1801-1885), Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of all Ireland (appointed in 1862). Cousin of Lord John Beresford
  • Charles Frederick D’Arcy (1859-1938), Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland
  • Saint Ethnea, baptized by St. Patrick, died around 433 AD; Her Feast Day is 11 January
  • Brian Boru (c.942-1014) högkung
  • Lord John Beresford
  • John Baptist Crozier and his wife Alice Isabella

Organs and organists

Organ

Details of the organ from the National Organ Register

organists

  • 1634 Richard Galway
  • 1661 John Shaw
  • 1695 Robert Hodge
  • 1711 William Toole
  • 1722 Samuel Betteridge
  • 1752 John Woffington
  • 1759 Robert Barnes
  • 1776 Langrishe Doyle
  • 1782 Richard Langdon
  • 1794 John Clarke Whitfield
  • 1797 JOHN JONES
  • 1816 Frederick Horncastle
  • 1823 Robert Turle
  • 1872 Thomas Marks
  • 1917 GHP Hewson
  • 1920 Edred Chaundy
  • 1935 West Reginald
  • 1951 Frederick Carter
  • 1966 Christopher Phelps
  • 1968 Martin White
  • 2002-2015 Theo Saunders
  • 2015- Present Dr. Stephen Timpany

See also

  • Anglicanism portal
  • List of cathedrals in Ireland
  • Dean of Armagh List of Deans in Armagh cathedral.
  • St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Armagh (Roman Catholic)

References 

  1. Jump up ^ Church in two nations. Published in early modern history (1500-1700), functions, Issue 1 (Spring 1998), medieval history (pre-1500), Volume 6 http://www.historyireland.com/early-modern-history-1500-1700/ the-church-from-two nations