St Fin Barre’s Cathedral (Irish: Ardeaglais Naomh Fionnbarra ) is a cathedral of the Church of Ireland in Cork City, Ireland. It is in the ecclesiastical province of Dublin. Begun in 1863, the cathedral was the first major work of Victorian architect William Burges. Former Cathedral of the Diocese of Cork, it is now one of three cathedrals in the Diocese of Cork, Cloyne and Ross.
History and architecture
The current cathedral was built on the site of at least two earlier structures intended for Finbarr of Cork.  The first dated from the 7th century,   with works continuing through the 12th century.  This building was damaged during the siege of Cork (1690),  and a new structure was built in 1735 -. even if parts of the former spire was kept 
This structure remained until 1860, when a competition to build a new larger cathedral was held in 1862. In February 1863, the design of architect William Burges was declared the winner of the competition to build a new Cathedral of St Fin Barre.  His diary records his reaction – “! Got Cork “ – while the cathedral accounts register payment of the winning prize of £ 100  Construction work took seven years before the first service was held in the cathedral in 1870th Building, carving and decoration continued into the 20th century, long after Burges death in 1881. 
The style of the building is an early French, Burges’s favored period and a style he continued to favor all his life, choosing it for their own home, The Tower House in Kensington. The fixed price for construction would be £ 15,000,  a sum far exceeded. The total cost came to well over £ 100,000.  Burges was “indifferent” (his own words) in his letter of January 1877 to the Bishop of Cork: “(in the future), all of it will be on its own and parts of the time and cost is forgotten, the result will only be reviewed. the big questions will then be the first this work is beautiful, and have them as it was entrusted, did it with all his heart and all his abilities. ” 
Burges oversaw all aspects of design, including architecture of the building, statues, stained glass and interior decoration. The result is “undoubtedly Burges greatest works of ecclesiastical architecture” . 
List of Deans Cork
The deans in Cork include the following, with a number of deans raised to the episcopate. [ Citation needed ]
- 1582 – Thomas Long
- 1590-1600 – Robert Graves (afterwards Bishop of Ferns and Leighlin, 1600)
- 1600-1604 – Thomas frame (afterwards Dean ferns, 1604 and then Bishop of Ferns and Leighlin, 1605)
- 1605 – George Ley or Lee
- 1627 / 8-1641 – John Fitzgerald
- 1642 – Henry Hall (later Bishop of Killala and Achonry, 1661)
- 1645-1661 – Edward Worth (later Bishop of Killaloe, 1661)
- 1661 – Thomas Hackett
- 1662-1666 – Roger Boyle (later Bishop of Down and Connor, 1667)
- 1666 / 7-1672 – John Vesey (afterwards Bishop of Limerick, Ardfert and Aghadoe, 1672)
- 1672 / 3-1708 – Arthur Pomeroy
- 1709-1710 – Rowland Davies
- 1721 / 2-1736 – Robert Carleton
- 1736-1750 – William Meade
- 1763-1779 – George Chinnery (afterwards Bishop Killaloe and Kilfenora, 1779)
- 1779-1795 – John Erskine
- 1796-1807 – She St. Thomas Lawrence (later Bishop of Cork, 1807)
- 1807-1812 – John Powell Leslie (later Bishop of Dromore, 1812)
- 1812-1813 – James Saurin (afterwards Archdeacon Dublin and then Bishop of Dromore, 1819)
- 1813-1819 – William Magee (afterwards Bishop of Raphoe, 1819)
- 1819-1841 – Robert Burrowes
- 1841-1842 – James Thomas O’Brien (afterwards Bishop of Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin, 1842)
- 1842-1864 – Horatio Townsend Newman
- 1864-1866 – William Connor Magee (afterwards Dean of the Chapel Royal, Dublin and then Bishop of Peterborough, 1868)
- 1868-1874 – Arthur William Edward
- 1874-1875 – Robert Samuel Gregg (afterwards Bishop of Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin, 1875)
- 1875-1878 – Achilles Daunt
- 1878-1890 – Samuel Owen Madden
- 1891-1894 – Thomas Brisbane Warren
- 1894-1897 – Mervyn Archdall (later Bishop of Killaloe and Clonfert, 1897)
- 1897- 1914 – Charles Saul Bruce
- 1914-> 1944 – Richard Babington
- 1952-1952 – George Otto Simms (afterwards Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross, 1952)
- ? 1952- 1962 – Henry Robert MacAdoo (afterwards Bishop of Ossory, Ferns and Leighlin, 1962)
- 1962- 1967 -? Ernest George Daunt
- 1967- 1971 -? Frederick Mervyn Kieran Johnston
- 1971-1993 – James Maurice George Carey
- 1993-1996 – Richard Clarke (later Bishop of Meath and Kildare, 1996 then Archbishop of Armagh, 2012)
- 1997-2002 – Michael Jackson (afterwards Bishop of Clogher, 2002, and then archbishop of Dublin, 2011)
- 2002-2006 – Michael Burrows (afterwards Bishop of Cashel and Ossory, 2006)
- 2008-present – Nigel Dunne
The organ was built in 1870 by William Hill & Sons, with three manuals and 40 stops. The action in Major was a form of pneumatic action (possibly barkermaskin) on the large, and tracker for the other two handböcker.Instrumentet was reformed in 1889 by Cork organ building firm, TW Magahy, which added three new stops. As part of these works was the organ moved from the western gallery (balcony) down to a pit in the north transept, where it sits today.
The next major revision was in 1906 by Hele & Company in Plymouth, who added a fourth manual (Solo). By now, the action of the organ was completely pneumatic.
Other work was completed on the organ in 1965-1966, when JW Walker & Sons Ltd in London reviewing the soundboards, installed a new console with electro-pneumatic action, and lowered the pitch. The organ then had four manuals, 56 stops and 3012 pipes.
From 2010 organ builder Trevor Crowe was hired to reconstruct and expand the body, when it was supplemented with a west gallery nave division and tonal improvements to the main instrument. This included a full-length 32 ‘extension of the pedal trombone. The work also meant a revised layout to enable earlier buried bodies to sing freely into the body of the cathedral.Crowe layout improvements intended to overcome obstacles to its underground location, [ citation needed ] and the western nave division improves complement to the church hymns. [ Citation needed ] Most of the choir organ is housed in a casing attached to the console, the lid of which can raised and lowered electrically by the organist. At 88 speaking stops, it is now the largest organ on the island of Ireland. [ Citation needed ]
- 1677-1698 – William Love [ clarification needed ]
- 1698? -1703? – Thomas Hollister [ clarification needed ]
- 1703-1711 – William Toole [ clarification needed ]
- 1712-1720 – Edward Broadway [ clarification needed ]
- 1720-1777 – William Smyth [ clarification needed ]
- 1782-1796 – Henry De La Maine [ clarification needed ]
- 1797-1811 – James Roche [ clarification needed ]
- 1811-1860 – James Brealsford Stephens [ clarification needed ]
- 1860-1903 – John Christopher Mark
- 1903-1922 – William George Everleigh 
- 1922-1977 – Jonathan Thomas Horne
- 1977-1984 – Paul Andrew Padmore (afterwards organist at St. Anne’s Cathedral, Belfast)
- 1984-2007 – Colin, Gerald Nicholls
- 2007-2015 – Malcolm Wisener (formerly organist at St. Bartholomew’s Church, Dublin)
- 2015-present – Peter Stobart
- Richard Boyle (Archbishop)
- William Lyons (bishop)
- Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross
- List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Cork)
- Jump up ^ “Cork Heritage” Ode to St. Finbarre Cathedral “.Corkheritage.ie. 09.06.2009. Pulled 06/17/2015.
- Jump up ^ “Saint Finbarr | Cathedral, Cork, Ireland. ” Britannica.com.Pulled 06/17/2015.
- Jump up ^ Richard Caulfield, ed. (1871). Annals of St. Fin Barre’s Cathedral, Cork. Purcell.
- Jump up ^ “History – Medieval cathedral”. Official website Cathedral.Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- Jump up ^ “St Fin Barre’s Cathedral.” Lonely Planet. Pulled 06/17/2015.
- Jump up ^ “Old St Fin Barre’s Cathedral (1735-1865) | Cork Past & Present “. Corkpastandpresent.ie. Pulled 06/17/2015.
- ^ Jump up to: a b c d cathedral St. Finbarr of Cork, page 19
- Jump up ^ Cathedral St. Finbarr of Cork, page 28
- Jump up ^ Cathedral St. Finbarr of Cork
- Jump up ^ Burges letter to the Bishop of Cork: 8 January 1877 – reproduced as the preface to the Cathedral of Saint Finbarr of Cork
- Jump up ^ Dictionary of organs and organists. First edition. 1912. p.272
- David Lawrence and Ann Wilson (2006). Cathedral of Saint Finbarr of Cork William Burges in Ireland. Four Courts Press. ISBN 978-1846820236.
- Fasti Ecclesiae Hibernicae: The consequence of prelates and members of the cathedral organs in Ireland Volume 1 by Henry Cotton
- Coles registers pin Cork