The historic ruins of Monasterboice (Irish: Mainistir Bhuithe ) are of an early Christian settlement in County Louth in Ireland, north of Drogheda. It was founded in the late 5th century by Saint Buithe who died around 521, and was an important center of religion and learning to the founding of nearby Mellifont Abbey in 1142. 
On the factory site are two churches built in the 14th century or later and an earlier round tower, but it is most famous for its 10th century high crosses.
The round tower is about 35 meters long, and is in very good condition, although it is not possible to enter. The passage of time has established strata so now the doorway is almost at marknivå.Klostret burned in 1097. 
5.5 meters Muiredach High Cross is regarded as the finest high cross in all of Ireland. It is named after an abbot, Muiredach Mac Domhnaill, who died in 923 and has biblical ristningarav both the Old and New Testaments of the Bible. North and West crosses are also fine examples of this type of structure, but these have suffered much more from the effects of the weather. A copy of the main transverse held in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
Poet and historian Mainistrech Flann, Flann of Monasterboice, was a lecturer here.
The name Monasterboice is a part-anglisering of the Irish name Mainistir Bhuithe means “Monastery Buithe”. It was formerly anglicised asMonasterboye and Monasterboyse . Boice is the English version of the Latin name Boecius adopted corresponding to the Irish Buithe. 
- List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Louth)
- Celtic art
- ^ Jump up to: abc Hayes, Holly (20 March, 2010). “Monasterboice”. sacred-destinations.com. Retrieved 2010-03-21.
- Jump up ^ FJ & KD Schorr. “High Crosses Monasterboice, Co Louth”.highcrosses.org. Retrieved 2010-03-21.
- Jump up ^ placental Database of Ireland (see archives)