Malahide Castle (Irish: Caislean Mhullach IDE ), part of which dates from the 12th century, with over 260 acres (1.1 km 2 ) for the remaining property of the park (the Malahide Demesne Regional Park), near the village of Malahide, nine miles ( 14 km) north of Dublin in Ireland.
The farm began in 1185, when Richard Talbot, a knight who accompanied Henry II to Ireland in 1174, was granted the “lands and harbor of Malahide.”The oldest parts of the castle dates back to the 12th century, it was home to the Talbot family for 791 years, from 1185 to 1976, the only exception being the period 1649-60, when Oliver Cromwell granted it to Miles Corbet efterCromwellian conquest of Ireland; Corbet was hanged after the demise of Cromwell, and the castle was restored to Talbots. The building was especially magnified in the reign of Edward IV, and the towers added in the 1765th
The farm survived such losses as the Battle of the Boyne, when the fourteen members of the owner family sat down to breakfast in the Great Hall, and all were dead by evening, and criminal laws, despite the fact that the family remained Catholic until 1774th
In the 1920s, private papers of James Boswell discovered in the castle, and sold to American collector Ralph H. Isham of Boswell’s great-great-grandson of Lord Talbot de Malahide.
Malahide Castle and Demesne eventually inherited by the 7th Baron Talbot and his death in 1973, sent to his sister, Rose. In 1975, Rose sold the castle to the Irish state, partly to fund the inheritance tax. Many of the contents, especially the furniture, the castle had been sold in advance leads to considerable public controversy, but private and government parties could get some.
The castle, together with its subsidiaries attractions, was for many years worked as a tourist attraction of tourism Dublin, working with Fingal County Council, which owns the whole demesne. Operating partner is now Shannon Heritage, which in turn designated subsidiary partners including Avoca Handweavers.
The main castle can be visited for a fee on a guided-tour-only basis.Moreover, it is possible to rent the famous Gothic Great Hall for private banquets. The castle has an eating establishment, and next door is a craft shop. The castle’s most famous room is the Oak Room, and Great Hall, showing the Talbot family history.
Separately, you can visit:
- The Tadpolt Botanic Gardens , located behind the castle, consisting of several hectares of plants and lawns, a walled garden of 1.6 hectares and seven greenhouses, including a Victorian era conservatory. Many plants from the southern hemisphere, particularly Chile and Australia, are presented. The gardens demonstrate plant collecting passion 7 Lord Talbot de Malahide in the mid 20s.
The Demense is one of the few surviving examples of 18th century landscaped parks, and has broad lawns surrounded by a protective belt of trees. It can be visited freely, with a number of entrances and parking areas.In addition to forest walks and one labeled “fitness trail”, the park features active use sports fields, including a cricket pitch and several football fields, a 9-hole par-3 golf course, an 18-hole pitch-and-putt course, tennis courts and a boules area. There is also a modern playground near the castle.
Tara’s Palace Museum of Childhood was previously located at Malahide Castle, but moved to Powerscourt near Ennis 2011.
Malahide Castle and the Botanic Gardens in the royal estate was a major change in 2011-2012. Castle closed to visitors during October 2011 and reopened in the fall of 2012. A new single brand for the site and an upgrade of the interpretation and facilities means that visitors now used to generate a single experience that brings together the castle, gardens and village of Mala.
The project involves revitalizing the visitor is offered in the castle and gardens and create new audio tours and exhibitions on gardens and castles and new retail / leisure activities while preserving the legacy of 800 years old location. Links to Malahide village and the local community is a key factor in the project. New signs linking the area with the village will encourage visitors to spend the whole day in Malahide enjoy the village, marina, restaurants and shops.
Especially the different rooms to visit the castle changed.
The main entrance to the Palace Demesne is off Malahide Road, with access also possible from Malahide Village. Dublin Bus route number 42, 102 and 142 travels along one side of the park, ochMalahide railway station is located near the castle end of the park.
The grounds of Malahide Castle was opened as a new concert hall by Fingal County Council in summer 2007, with concerts by the Arctic Monkeys,  White, Joe Cocker, Al Green ochBell X1, among others. In 2008, his guests included Neil Young,   Radiohead,  and Eric Clapton.  Prince performed at the castle on July 30, 2011.
- Baron Talbot of Mala
- Thomas Talbot
- Jump up ^ “Neil Young to play two Irish dates.” Muse.ie. 2008-03-05.Retrieved 2008-03-07.
- Jump up ^ “Neil Young heads to the castle that Winehouse goes Oxegen lineup …”. Irish Independent. 2008-03-05. Retrieved 2008-03-07.
- Jump up ^ “Radiohead confirm Dublin date …”. Muse.ie. 04.12.2007.Pulled 12/26/2007.
- Jump up ^ “Guitar King Clapton lined up for the summer gig at the castle …”. Irish Independent. 31.01.2008. Retrieved 2008-02-01.