James Joyce Tower and Museum is a Martello tower in Sandycove, Dublin, where James Joyce spent six nights (September 9-14) in 1904.  Admission is free. 
The tower was leased from the British War Office by Joyce university friend Oliver St. John Gogarty, with the aim of “Hellenising” Ireland. Gogarty later attributed to Joyce’s abrupt resignation after only six days to a midnight incident with a loaded revolver. 
The opening scenes of Ulysses is in the morning after this incident. Gogarty is immortalized as “Stately, plump Buck Mulligan” (the opening words of the novel).
The tower now contains a museum dedicated to Joyce and showing some of her possessions and other ephemera related to Ulysses (such as an empty pot of “Plumtree’s Pickled Meat”). The living space is set up to resemble its 1904 appearance (with a ceramic panther to represent one seen in a dream resident). It is a pilgrimage for Joyce enthusiasts, especially on Bloomsday.
The tower became a museum opening on June 16, 1962 through the efforts of the Dublin artist John Ryan. Ryan also rescued the door of 7 Eccles Street (now the James Joyce Centre) from demolition and organized, by Flann O’Brien, the first Bloomsday Celebration 1954th
James Joyce Tower is open 365 days a year, 10 am-6pm (10am 4pm in winter).Admission is free. The museum is run by Friends of Joyce Tower Society on a voluntary basis.
- Hoppa upp^Bowker, Gordon (2012). James Joyce: En ny biografi . New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux. pp. 130-131.
- Jump up ^ “James Joyce Tower Museum”. Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Hoppa upp^ Gogarty, Oliver (1948). Sorg Blev Mrs Spendlove. New York: Creative Age Press. pp. 56-57.
- Ryan, Susan (20 July 2012). “Joyce Tower set to resume thanks to voluntary support.” TheJournal.ie.