Croagh Patrick (Irish: Cruach Phádraig , meaning “(S) Patrick Stack”), nicknamed the Reek ,  is a 764 meters (2,507 ft) mountain and an important place of pilgrimage in County Mayo iIrland. It is 8 km (5 miles) from Westport, above the villages of Murrisk and Lecanvey. It is the third highest mountain in County Mayo after Mweelrea and Nephin. It increased by pilgrims on Reek Sunday every year, which is the last Sunday in July. It forms the southern part of a U-shaped valley created by a glacier flowing into Clew Bay in the last Ice Age .Croagh Patrick is part of a long east-west ridge;the westernmost peak called Ben Gorm.
Croagh Patrick comes from the Irish Cruach Phádraig sense “(S) Patrick stack”. It is known locally as “Reek”, an Irish English word for “rick” or “stack”. In pagan times it was known as Cruachan Aigle , referred to by that name in the sources Cath Maige Tuired ,  Buile Shuibhne ,  meters Dindshenchas,  and the Annals of Ulster record for the year 1113.  Cruachan is simply a diminutive of Cruach “stack”, but it is not certain what Aigle funds. It is either from the Latin loan aquila “eagle” (usually aicile or acaile )  or a person’s name.   In addition to its literal meaning, Cruach in the pagan name may also be related to Crom Cruach.
The Marquess of Sligo, whose headquarters is located near Westport House, carries the titles Baron Mount Eagle and the Earl of Altamont, both derived from the alternative name ( Cruachan Aigle , high-mount ). For Croagh Patrick 
Main article: Reek Sunday
Croagh Patrick has sense been a place of pagan pilgrimage, especially for the summer solstice, since 3000 BC  It is now a place of Christian pilgrimage associated co aint Patrick fasted on top forty days in the fifth century AD Thousands of people climb the mountain every Reek Sunday, which is the last Sunday of juli.Klättringen led by the Archbishop of Tuam each year. But the amount of visitors -estimated at 40,000 per year -and resulting erosion has caused concern for the safety of both the Catholic Church and local farmers who undertake safety measures. Pilgrimage was canceled because of safety reasons in 2015. 
From St. Patrick’s own time, there had been some kind of a small chapel on the top,  called “Team Phádraig”. an archaeological excavation in 1994 found the remains of a foundation at the top. In the 824 Archbishops of Armagh and Tuam disagree over who had jurisdiction. 
A small chapel was built on the top and dedicated July 20, 1905. During the pilgrimage July 31, 2005 a plaque commemorating its centennial presented by Michael Neary, the Archbishop of Tuam.
It was decided [ citation needed ] in 2005 to open the church every day during the summer, rather than just on holidays. Mass celebrated in the church on Reek Sunday and 15 August. It opens through information lines.
A seam of gold were discovered in the rock in the 1980s: overall grades of 14 grams of gold per tonne (0.45 oz gold per ton) for at least 12 quartz veins, which can produce 700,000 tons (770,000 tons) of ore – potentially over 300,000 troy oz of gold (worth over € 360). But because of local opposition from the Mayo environmental group led by Paddy Hopkins, the Mayo County Council decided not to allow mining. 
- Unobstructed mountain views from Westport
- Notice at the base stations of the Catholic climbers, with the statue of Saint Patrick
- The upper slopes of the mountain
- Patrick Oratory at the summit
- Patrick bed at the summit
- Cairn near the top with views of Clew Bay and Mayo mountains
- Chapel on top of Croagh Patrick
- List of mountains in Ireland
- Jump up ^ Croagh Patrick placental Database of Ireland. Pulled: 07/31/2013.
- Jump up ^ Croagh Patrick, Taifid chartlainne (archive footage) placental Database of Ireland. Pulled: 07/31/2013.
- Jump up ^ New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary , the CD edition, 1997, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1973, 1993, 1996.
- Jump up ^ CELT: The second battle of Moytura (Translation) – Irish
- Jump up ^ CELT: Buile Shuibhne (Translation) – Irish (Cruachan Oighle)
- ^ Jump up to: ab CELT: Dindshenchas meters, 88 Cruachan Aigle (Translation) – Irish
- Jump up ^ CELT: Annals of Ulster in 1113 (translation) – Irish
- Jump up ^ Registration for aicil of Edil
- Jump up ^ Old Irish-L: Cruachan Aigle July 31, 2002
- Jump up ^ George Edward Cokayne oath. Vicary Gibbs, The Complete Peerage , Volume I (1910) p. 113th
- Jump up ^ historical interest Teach na Miasa. Pulled: 07/31/2013.
- Jump up ^ “In imitation of the great Jewish legislator on Sinai, he spent forty days on its summit in fasting and prayer, and other penitential exercises.” Catholic Encyclopedia
- Jump up ^ Kieran Cooke (11 October 2015). “The sacred mountain that has become too popular.” BBC news. Retrieved eleven October 2015.
- Jump up ^ McDonald, Michael. “Croagh Patrick.” The Catholic Encyclopedia. Vol. 4. New York: Robert Appleton Company, 1908. February 21, 2014
- Jump up ^ Haggerty, Bridget. “He came to scoff – but stayed to Pray”, Irish culture and customs
- Jump up ^ “Obituary Paddy Hopkins.” Mayo News. July 30, 2013.Retrieved 10 September, 2013.