Cathedral Church of St. Brigid, Kildare Kildare, Kildare is one of two cathedrals in the United Dioceses of Meath and Kildare by the Church of Ireland in Ireland. It is in the ecclesiastical provinseni Dublin.
It is said that in 480 (35 years after Saint Patrick settled in Armagh) Saint Brigid came in Kildare with her nuns. Her original monastery church would have been a simple wooden building. So great was her fame, soon after her death in 523 AD a costly shrine was erected in her honor in a new and larger building. For many centuries Kildare maintained a unique Irish experiment;abbess ruled over a double community of women and men, and the bishop was subordinate in jurisdiction to abbedissan.Mellan the years 835 and 998 the cathedral was destroyed no less than 16 times, so that when Norman, Ralph Bristol, became a bishop in 1223 it was virtually in ruins. Between then and 1230, it was largely rebuilt. It was half a devastating 1500. It was abandoned in 1649. In 1686 it was partially built. 
Former Cathedral of the Diocese of Kildare, it is now one of two cathedrals in the United Dioceses of Meath and Kildare.
The current building is a restored Norman cathedral dating back to 1223. The site occupied by the cathedral is probably the site of a pagan shrine to the goddess Brigid, and later the church of Saint Brigid. An eternal flame was held here from pre-Christian times possibly until the time of Henry VIII, who destroyed many monasteries.   Next to the cathedral is one of Kildare femrunda tower which is 32 meters (105 feet) high, and can be climbed during certain times.
The austere cathedral was built in the years after 1223, probably by Ralph of Bristol made bishop of the see in 1222 and died in 1232. There are crosses in plan without aisles in the early Gothic style with a massive square central tower. All windows are LANCET-WINDOW, single or double, but triple lancets in the four gables. Unique and attractive features of the construction are the arcs extending between the board support in advance of the side walls. The railings are of the stepped Irish type (now much restored) but probably dated to c. 1395, the year in which a papal relaxation was given to those who visited Kildare and gave alms for the preservation of the church.The interior treatment frequently, window splays not formed, but the rear frames, that is, the spring shafts with molded capitals. These shafts are short and end in small curved tails. 
Altar tomb portrait of Bishop Walter Wellesley (died 1539) is an excellent example of 16th. century sculpture.
The Sheelagh-na-gig (erotic carving) is very rare to find in the cathedrals.
Solid oak choir stalls and chapters with acorns and oak leaf carvings.
The high altar with reproductions of medieval originals.
Caen stone carved pulpit with carvings of the four evangelists and Irish marble columns.
The organ was built by Conacher in 1898 and currently being restored with the support of Professor Gerard Gillen.
Luke stained glass windows by Gerda Schurmann (the Czech Republic) dated in 1974.
Stone baptismal font that is not original to the cathedral but is dated from the Middle Ages. West window dedicated to St. Patrick, St. Brigid and St.Columba.
Death and Resurrection
The cathedral fell into disrepair after the English Reformation and destroyed during the Irish League of war. The restoration of the building was carried out during the 19th century by George Edmund Street  His work included new north trancept, new chancel, and the new west wall and rebuilding three sides of the square tower. The new oak roof supported on stone corbels built into the wall buttresses.
In recent years, as part of the centennial cathedral has undergone further restoration including new internal porches, repair of internal and external stone and rebuilding of the organ .. 
George Edmund Street, arkitekt.
George Edmund Street began the restoration of the cathedral in 1875 and work continued after his death in 1881 until it was finished 1896th
- eagle Lectern
- Walter Wellesley seriously
- Dean Kildare
- Jump up ^ Free sheets provided for visitors to self-guide tour the cathedral.
- Jump up ^ “Light Perpetual Flame by Brigid (A brief history of the flame).” January 2006. Archived from the original May 30, 2015.
- Jump up ^ “St. Brigid Fire Temple “. Archived from the original on September 13, 2015.
- Jump up ^ Irish churches and cloisters – Volume II – Harold G. Leask March Litt.D., MRIA, FSA, FRSAI, FRIAI.
- Hoppa upp^ Memoir av George Edmund Street, RA, b.1824-d.1881, Arthur Edmund Street.
- Hoppa upp^ http://kildare.ie/Local-History/kildare/kildare-cathedral.htm