Mullingar (in Irish an Muileann gCearr , ie “the mill gauchi”) is a city in the center of Ireland , 80 kilometers from Dublin . It is the administrative center of the county of Westmeath in Ireland and is the seat of the Catholic diocese of Meath . The city had 20,103 inhabitants at the 2010 census, making it the largest city in Westmeath County. The city has services such as libraries, high schools, gymnasiums, art centers, a train station and the stadium of the GAA : the Cusack-park.
Renowned for livestock in its markets, the city has given birth to the Irish expression “having meat on his heels like a heifer of Mullingar” (a remark mocking the well-wrapped young girls of the ankles).
Monuments include the monastery of Augustine whose brotherhood has disappeared, the wall of Jealousy Wall , 55 meters long , the largest false ruin in Ireland, on the lands of Belvedere House. See also Fore Abbey (Fore Abbey) .
The city is covered by two newspapers: the Westmeath Topic , and the Westmeath Examiner , the latter with the largest circulation in Westmeath County in the second half of 2006.
The town of Mullingar is mentioned for the first time in a manuscript of the xii th century one called The Life of Saint Colman 2 , Lynn, who is kept in the Library of Rennes in France.
It was founded around 1186 by Guillaume Petit , a Norman baron , who had built a castle overlooking the river Brosna where the county buildings are now located.
Singers Joe Dolan and the Swarbrigg brothers , as well as Michael O’Leary of Ryanair have recently lived in Mullingar. Niall Horan of the boys band One Direction was born here. The surrounding areas are also famous for their lakes: Lough Owel , Lough Ennell , Lough Lene and Lough Derravaragh which attract anglers, windsurfers and hikers. Lough Derravaragh and Lough Lene are best known for their connection to the Irish legend of King Lir’s children . After being transformed into swans, the children of King Lir spent three hundred years on the Lough Derravaragh during their tragic adventures.
Recently, the tin articles of the Mullingar Pewter plant located near the city have become one of Mullingar’s main exports. Small sculptures, the “pilgrims”, enthroned in the windows of the various shops of Austin Friers street are also world famous.
Mullingar hosted the Fleadh Cheoil 3 in 1951 (creation) and in 1963.