Killiney (Irish: Cill Inion Léinín , which means “Church of the Daughters of Léinín”) is a seaside resort and suburb in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown, Ireland.The area lies on the coast south of neighboring Dalkey, and north of Shankill. It is part of Dáil constituency Dun Laoghaire.
Killiney Hill Park was opened in 1887 as the Victoria Hill in honor of Britain’s Queen Victoria’s 50 years on the throne. The park has a magnificent view of Dublin Bay, Killiney Bay Bray Head and Mount Big Sugar Loaf Mountain (506 m), which extends from the Wicklow Mountains across to Howth Head. Park topography is pretty dramatic, and its highest point, the Obelisk, is 170 meters above sea level.
Other attractions include Killiney Beach, Killiney Golf Club, a local Martello Tower, and the ruins of Cill Inion Léinín, the church around which the original village was founded.
Coastal areas in Killiney often favorably compared to the Bay of Naples in Italy. This comparison is reflected in the names of the surrounding roads, as Vico, Sorrento, Monte Alverno, San Elmo, and Capri. On clear days, the Mourne Mountains in County Down can be seen. Killiney Hill Park was once part of the estate of Killiney Castle, now a hotel. Since early 2010, a pod of bottlenose dolphins have been seen regularly in Killiney Bay. [ Citation needed ]
The area is served by Dublin Bus routes 7b, 7n (Nitelink) and 45a at the junction of Killiney Hill Road and Shanganagh Road and Road 59 at Killiney Hill. 
An Aircoach service begins at Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel in Killiney links with Dublin Airport every hour, 24 hours a day.
Killiney railway station, served by DART, located on Station Road. 
Northeast Killiney is one of Dublin’s most exclusive neighborhoods. Famous residents include U2 members Bono and The Edge. Former racing driver Eddie Irvine is also sometimes seen in Killiney. Actor Allen Leech was born in Killiney, as well as radio presenter Paddy O’Byrne. Singer Enya lives in a Manderley Castle in Killiney.
Killiney The village got its name from the location of the nuns’ abbey.Leinin, a local chieftain and his seven daughters converted to Christianity, and together they went on to found a religious community on Marino Avenue West.Idag family celebrated in the stained glass windows in the church of St. Alphonsus and Columba in Ballybrack, only a few minutes walk away . Although the establishment of the first church dates back to the sixth century, its current roofless ruin from the 11th century. This small chapel on Marino Avenue West mark the historical center of Killiney Village and can still be seen today.
For many centuries, most of the area was the property of the Talbot de Malahide family, some of the original supporters of the 1170 Norman invasion. The obelisk atop Killiney Hill records the famine of 1741 and the relief works made for the poor, which include Obelisk and many walls that cover the top of the hill. In the 19th century, were the areas in the north and east of the village owned by Robert Warren, who developed many of the Victorian homes tract. The Warrens also sold the land needed to extend the Dublin and Kingstown Railway to Killiney and ultimately Bray. Killiney beach was a popular seaside destination for Dubliners, and John Rocque’s 1757 map shows bathhouse near White Rock, on Killiney Beach. The coast became even more popular when the railway opened, and the opening of the Victoria Park in 1887 to celebrate the British monarch’s visit and the opening of Vico Road in 1889 appears to have increased this popularity further. Victoria Castle was built in honor of Queen Victoria, especially her accession to the throne. [ Citation needed ] This is currently owned by Donegal sångareEnya renamed it Manderley Castle.
From 1900 until the late 1940s Killiney remained a close-rural area, despite its proximity to Dublin city. From the early 1960s, the economy began to expand, and thus reach Dublin in areas in its hinterland as Killiney.
20th century development
During the first half of the twentieth century, still consisted Electoral Division of North Killiney of a small village in the center and a number of suburban roads lined with large houses. Some small cottages were occupied by working-class locals and bohemian residents like George Bernard Shaw, whose house, Torca Cottage, located near the border with Dalkey.
South Killiney consisted of agricultural land uncultivated hillside forest, a few large farmhouse (Ballinclea House in particular, which is owned by the Talbot de Malahide family  and was destroyed by fire in the early 1970s, and Roche’s House, close to the contemporary Killiney Shopping Centre), the convent of the sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny and Killiney Golf Club, a nine-hole course that was founded 1903rd
Killiney population grew rapidly in the decades after the Emergency that urbanization and suburbanization of Ireland Dublin progressed. The main districts most locals will identify the Killiney Hill Park, Roche’s Hill (locally known as Mullins’ Hill), Killiney Village, North Killiney (Cluny Grove, Killiney Road, Ballinclea), Killiney Hill Road, Vico Road. The last six of these areas are developed, usually with two-story homes, with an average density of 10 to 30 houses per hectare. North Killiney mainly consists of two bedrooms, two-story homes to 10 to 30 houses per hectare.
The population, as recorded by the Census of Ireland, peaked in 1996 at around 10,800 and has decreased by about 12% since then, as falling average family sizes have outpaced housing.
- List of towns and villages in Ireland
- The story of Killiney Hill Park Dunlaoghaire-Rathdown County Council[ dead link ]
- Carrickmines Castle, Vale Shanganagh, Dalkey, Killiney and Ballybrack Hills (Waybackmachine archive link)
- Pearson, Peter (1998). Between the mountains and the sea: Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Dublin. The O’Brien Press ISBN 0-86278-582-0.
- Jump up ^ “Dublin Bus Routes”. Dublin Bus. Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- Jump up ^ “Irish Rail Killiney Station”. Irish Rail. Retrieved 2007-08-31.
- Jump up ^ “Who’s Who in Dublin.” Admiralty and Horse Guards Gazette,