Castle Coole (from Irish: CUL  ) is a townland and a late 18th century neo-classical mansion is located in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. Located in a 1,200-acre (490 hectare) wooded property, it is one of three properties owned and managed by the National Trust in County Fermanagh, the other is Florence Court and Crom Estate.
The townland, which is 529 acres (214 hectares) in size,  is located in the parish of Derryvullan, in the historical barony of Tirkennedy,  and Fermanagh and Omagh districts.
Castle Coole estate was bought in 1656 by the Belfast merchant John Corry, grandfather of the first Earl. The farm is named after Lough Coole (from Irish Gaelic Cúil , “seclusion”), a lake surrounded by hills Killynure. An Ráth here and Crannog on Lough Coole itself are reminders of the area has been inhabited since prehistoric times. Other lakes on the estate include Lough Yoan and Brendrum Lough.
The site of a 17th century building Bawn and the formal garden at Castle Coole (grid ref: H2574 4333) planned historical monuments. 
Castle Coole was constructed between 1789 and 1798 as a summer retreat of Armar Lowry-Corry, 1st Earl Belmore. Lord Belmore was Member of Parliament for County Tyrone in the former Irish Houses of Parliament in Dublin and a wealthy heir to 70,000 acres (28,000 ha) of land in the whole of Ireland, acquired by the ancestors with a successful background in merchantry. The proceeds of the estates allowed Castle Coole be built at a cost of £ 57,000 in 1798, equivalent to about £ 20 million today. The localization of the comparatively small 1,200-acre (490 hectare) property in County Fermanagh was mainly because of its unspoilt rural location and natural beauty amid ancient oak woods and small lakes, but close to the market town of Enniskillen for the domestic workforce necessary for a large mansion. In addition, many smaller family homes built at Castle Coole estate before the mansion, including a residence of King James the period (later deliberately destroyed in a fire) and a Queen Anne house built 1709th
After the passage in 1800 of the Act of Union, act politically unite Britain and Ireland, the family moved from their main residence – a small terraced house in Sackville Street, Dublin – Castle Coole, as a reason for living in Dublin, to be close to Parliament, no longer apply.
In 1951, the 7th Earl Belmore transferred mansion to the National Trust, prompted by two sets of death duties or inheritance tax when the 5th and 6th Earl Belmore died without problems 18 months. But the contents of the mansion, including the cost today is shown to visitors, remains the property of the Earl Belmore. National Trust mansion open to visitors during the summer months, and the farm can be visited year round. Between 1980 and 1988, the mansion was closed to the public while the National Trust did major restoration work, including dismantling the façade to replace metal anchor that holds the stone in place, because they corrode. This was done with such sensitivity and care that today weathered stone looking quite undisturbed. To celebrate the reopening, the Queen Mother was invited to Castle Coole. As part of the transfer of ownership of the National Trust there is an agreement to Earl Belmore maintains an apartment in S wing, currently used by his heir and familj.Earl himself lives in a small house elsewhere on the farm.
Neo-classical in architectural style, Castle Coole was the work of two Georgian period architects who do not cooperate. Richard Johnston, an Irish architect, originally ordered and finished basement. Johnston rejected in favor of the popular and fashionable English architect James Wyatt, who, instead of starting anew, began where Johnston ended and finished the mansion in the same footprint. Wyatt followed closely on the Neo-classical ideals restraint, symmetry and careful proportion, with architectural details carefully peeled. An Ionic portico and the flanking Doric colonnaded wings extend either end of the main block of the house.  Wyatt probably never visited the place and sent the blueprints for the house from London. The very fine and varied plaster ceilings were all the work of the English artist Joseph Rose.
Notable aspects of the mansion include a restrained but impressive Portland stone facades and sober portico with Ionic capitals striking. Inside are more restrained splendor with entrance boasts four massive scagliolakolumner. A double-return cantilever staircase leads to an unusual double height drawing room on the first floor that rises an additional floor with a bedroom gallery overlooks. Both spaces are richly decorated in scagliola columns meddoriska of diminishing scale from lower to higher.
Wyatt also designed some of the most important furniture in the mansion.Such architect designed the Neo-classical pieces left in the situation that they are intended are rare, much of their aesthetic value due to their survivors in the original location. Other furniture was placed by the second Earl, when the Regency style was in vogue and later generations, so that the interior appearance today is many layers, not just the neo-classical.
A state bedroom, made in 1821 for King George IV (unused by the king, who failed to arrive), retains the original furnishings, state bed and flock wallpaper. A salon decorated in a French Empire style, a Greek staircase hall, and a lady office decorated in a Chinese style reflects the importance of worldly knowledge and awareness during the Regency period. Family motives, engraved Italian marble chimney pieces and decorate the plaster frieze of the reception, reflecting the first Earl pride in his family arv.Rummen in the mansion garden front overlooks Lough Coole.
There is an extensive cellar under the house and extends slightly below the adjacent NW lawns. This is below the soil surface is partially restored and open to the public and contains the kitchen, servants’ room, pantries, wine cellar, laundry a Roman-style plunge tubs, a brewery and other offices.Castle Coole has no above ground and avstigningsdörr.Wyatt tried to give the impression – often pursued by Neo-classical architects – a perfect composition of old proportionate principles, isolated in a “natural” landscape. So externally, practical offices that support the house are all accessed by a long sloping tunnel from the stable yard (80 m) 260 meters, so that artisans, officials and property of staff approached and left the house unseen, with the architect’s Neo-classical ideal composition above-ground remains seemingly undisturbed day to day operations.
Numerous out-buildings can be found in the yard; the interest lodges, “Grand Inn”, workshops, stables, a “sebum House” (originally used for candle-making, now a gift shop and reception. The entrance to the service tunnel to the house is adjacent to the “Grand Courtyard”
A large part of the native oak, ash and beech planting of landscape park remains, grazed in the day by cattle and sheep as originally intended. A significant part of the estate has historically given over to agriculture and allow for local farmers, a practice that continues today. Part of the Southwest has been Enniskillen Golf Club, and here the original planting compromised by mode golf course design. To the southeast part of the estate was sold for Killyevlin Industrial Estate.
A “ha-ha” – that is, a trench to control the movement of animals without visual interruptions in the landscape as a result of a fence or a wall – can be found near the mansion. Vestigial remnants of the previous extensive parterre of earlier Baroque houses can be seen in the park, but are difficult to discern today, despite interpretation panels installed by the National Trust.
The Belmore earldom is named after the nearby Belmore Mountain, 7 miles (11 km) west of Enniskillen. Corry had hoped to be named Earl of Enniskillen, until that title was given to the Cole family at Florence Court .Although the origin of Corry side of the family can be found in Belfast, there is more uncertainty with Lowry side. The Lowry may have originally been from Dumfries in Scotland.
As a member of the peerage of Ireland, the Earl of Belmore had a place in the Irish House of Lords until 1801, when the kingdom of Ireland merged in Britain. The second and fourth Earls then sat in the upper house vidWestminster as representative peers.
The labor force
As most employed Castle Coole about 90 employees, both indoors and outdoors. In the basement of the mansion was entirely the domain of indoor staff and accommodation for outside staff is mainly found in the buildings surrounding the Grand Courtyard. During the early stages of the mansion’s history when the main residence Belmore family was in Dublin, a caretaker staff 5-10 employees remained in the mansion while the family was away.This may help explain the excellent condition of the mansion today;continuous coating prevented decay and may have helped to prevent major disasters, such as fires.
As in many mansions, a hierarchy among employees formed. Head Cook, for example, had a two-bedroom apartment above the heat in the kitchen.Butler also had a personal apartment. A boot boy on the other hand, had shared accommodation with other lower rank scaffolding employees.
New in 2006
Castle Coole re-opened to the public for the 2006 season on 17 March. A new design of the Victorian bedroom layout is celebrating four years of Australian influence at Castle Coole. Somerset Lowry-Corry, the 4th Earl Belmore, was conservative governor of New South Wales 8 January 1868 served until 23 February 1872. At the Government House, Sydney, was the 4th Earl’s first son was born May 1, 1870 that would later becoming the 5th Earl Belmore. Lady Belmore found summer climate in Sydney oppressive and despite frequent retreats to Moss Vale, concern about the health of his wife calls Lord Belmore retiring his governor 26 June 1871 allows Belmore family to return to Castle Coole following year. Belmore Park, Sydney and Belmore Park, Goulburn testifies New South Wales rail development as a result of Lord Belmore’s governor and his own personal popularity in Australia.Because the bedroom of the 4th Earl and Countess of Castle Coole both before and after his four years in Australia, in memory of Victorian bedroom connector.
Admission to Castle Coole is by guided tour only. Contact the National Trust website via the link for opening hours during in 2013.
- List of townlands in County Fermanagh
- Cobbe family
- ^ Jump up to: ab Logainm – Castle Coole – scanned records 2
- ^ Jump up to: ab “Castle Coole”. IreAtlas townlands Database. Taken 19 april2015.
- Jump up ^ “Scheduled historical monuments (15 October 2012)” (PDF).NI Environment Agency. Retrieved November 29, 2012.
- Jump up ^ O’Neill, B (ed). (2002). Irish castles and historic houses.London: Caxton Editions. p. 26.
- Marsen, P (1997) “The Belmores at Castle Coole 1740-1913 ‘Enniskillen: Print Factory (not in print)
- Rooms, A (1994) “A Dictionary Irish place names’ Belfast. Apple Press ISBN 0-86281-460-X
- Unpublished material relating to Castle Coole Castle Coole in possession of the National Trust