(from Old Norse Kerlingfjǫrðr , which means “narrow sea inlet hag”,  Irish: Cairlinn ) is a coastal town and townland in northern County Louth, Ireland. It is situated between Carlingford Lough (to the east) and Slieve Foy, sometimes known as Carlingford Mountain (to the west), located in the Cooley Peninsula. Located on the R176 / R173 roads between Greenore Point and Omeathbyn, Carling is about 27 km north-east (road) from Dundalk (15.6 km directly), 90 km north of Dublin and 11 km south of the border with Northern Ireland. Carlingford won the Irish Tidy Towns Competition, 1988.
Carlingford has a number of medieval streets – the main thing is Tholsel Street which holds the remains of an old tollgate and Mint.
Carling was occupied in the 12th century Norman knight Hugh de Lacy after laying the foundation stone of a castle on a strategic outcrop of rock. A settlement grew up near this fortress. The construction of this castle is attributed by tradition to King John about the year 1210. Castle is an extensive ruin sits on a solid stone – whose sides are surrounded by havet.Berg rise on the inner side, at the foot of which is a narrow passage that previously was commanded by fortress.
Carling’s strategic position on the east coast of Ireland (along with Carrickfergus and Drogheda) made it an important trading port. This trade has led to the relative prosperity during the 14th, 15th and early 16th centuries. Carling early prosperity faltered when in 1388, the town was burned to the ground by a Scottish force under the command of Sir William Douglas of Nithsdale. This was a punishment raid, after the Irish attacks against Galloway, Lord, who was Nithsdale father, Archibald the Grim.
Carlingford received five charter in total; the first in 1326 by Edward II and the last in 1619 under James I. The increased trade encouraged a mercantile class to build in the area, whose results are seen today in the remains of the Mint and Taffe Castle.
In 1637, the Surveyor General of Customs issued a report compiled from accounts customs due from each port and their “subsidiary streams.” Of the Ulster ports on the list, Carrickfergusvar first, followed by Bangor, Donaghadee, and string. Carlingford and Coleraine each had £ 244 customs basis and had the same ranking. 
Carling was considered for its green finned oysters remained their main source of employment. Oysters were noted around the world and received a reply when mentioned in the accompanying texts. 
War and Ruin
The 1641 Rising, the Irish Ulster, the Cromwellian conquest of 1649, and the subsequent Williamite wars of the 1690s took their toll on the local economy. As noted in the Journal of Isaac Butler, Carling city was in a “state of ruin” of 1744. But the final nail in the coffin was deserte to open water in the prosperous herring shoals occupied lough of the early 18th century.
Carling inability to develop a heavy industry gets its medieval layout and archeological artifacts remain relatively intact. The area was opened to tourism in the 1870s, Dundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway, which passed through Carlingford. This line was closed in 1951. These connections led to tourism is an important source of employment. Fishing was also important economically; especially oysters and crabs from the nearby harbor. The city hosts the annual Carlingford Oyster Festival is usually held in August. A passenger ferry operates daily out of the village of Omeath, 5 km (3.1 mi) away, in the summer months.
On the day of the Irish general election, in 1918, the company Camlough the Irish volunteers traveled by train from Newry to Carlingford. Upon arrival, they found a large number of Carling people wearing Union Jacks. Volunteer ordered all Royal Irish Constabulary men they saw in service on the streets or at the polls to return to their barracks and to remain in them as volunteers in Carlingford. A series of attacks were made on Volunteers from the village mobs on the streets. The volunteers took control and tried to protect voters will record their vote until polling stations closed. Seamus Lyang from Dundalk was voting clerk in Carlingford and when booths closed Volunteers had to take Lyang under his protection and escort him out of Carlingford. All pubs and shops in Carlingford was hostile to the volunteers and refused to serve them. After the closure of polling volunteers marsche back to Camlough.
The Irish singer-songwriter Tommy Makem wrote a melancholy song about the city, “Farewell to Carlingford,” covered by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem and The Dubliners. In Dublin Penny Journal advised that in AD 432 St. Patrick’s second landing in Ireland, according to some authorities work here.
- King John Castle . Despite the western part on behalf of Hugh de Lacy before 1186, owes the castle its name to King John (Richard the Lionheart’s brother) who visited Carlingford in 1210. The eastern part was built in the mid 13th century with changes and amendments before the 15th and 16th centuries. During 1950 the Office of Public Works (OPW) undertook conservation work to stabilize the structure. A view of the north pier and Lough can be obtained from the display area on the eastern side of the castle, but the castle itself is closed to the public for security reasons.
- Taaffe’s Castle / Merchant House . A fortified house which according to local tradition belonged to the rich mercantile Taaffe family who became the Earls Carlingford in 1661. However, there is nothing to indicate that it was built or in fact owned by Taaffes. Early topographic maps provide evidence that it was in existence before Taaffe family were provided with their Earl of Carlingford title, Taaffes resides mainly in Sligo. Castles of proximity to the port would propose a trading depot on the ground floor with the upper floors reserved for housing. The design proposes two phases-the main tower was built in the early 16th century, while the expansion of the page occurred later.
- The Tholsel . The Tholsel, or “city-gate” is the only remaining example of its nature in Carlingford and one of the few left in Ireland. Originally, it was three stories high, the current appearance due to changes made in the 19th century. The original function was to levy taxes on goods entering the town-murder holes on the side of the walls are testaments to this fact. [ Citation needed ] In 1834, it was used by the Corporation of Carlingford to meet and a parliament is said to have used it to make laws for “the Pale”. It was also used as a city prison in the 18th century.
- Mint . A fortified three-storey house belonging to a wealthy merchant family in the center of Carlingford. While the right to mint coins was not granted to the Carling until 1467, it is unlikely that it actually was used as a mint. [ Citation needed ] The most notable feature is the five decorated limestone window. The patterns and motifs are an example of the influence of the Celtic Renaissance art during the 16th century.
- Dominican monastery . The Dominican was established in Carlingford in 1305 mainly because of their protector, Richard Og de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster, the friary itself is dedicated to St. Malachy.Dissolved in 1540 by Henry VIII became the center of a readmission struggle between Dominicans and Franciscans in the 1670s. It was decided in favor of the Dominican Oliver Plunkett. But friary himself later abandoned in the 18th century by Dominican to its present site in Dundalk. The remains today consists of a nave and chancel divided by a tower. It is also possible residues of certain domestic buildings in the south as a mill, mill race and mill pond.
- Town Wall . Established by charter in 1326 by Edward II to the Bailiffs of the Carling it allowed them to charge Murage for its building. Not much remains but the little that does have some external splayed musket loops that would indicate the arrival of firearms to Ireland in the late 15th century. [ Citation needed ] It is likely that the wall had an external ditch to strengthen its defenses . Its purpose was to act as a barrier to ensure that goods entering the city had to pass through a city gate (and hence could be taxed), but it also had to create a boundary between Gael and Norman.
- Ghan House . A Georgian House was built by William stannous 1727 it is surrounded by crenellated walls and watchtowers. The first floor contains the lounge that has a decorative ceiling of Rococo plaster work flower garlands and medallion busts are said to be of stannous ladies. In the basement are two underground passages (now blocked) which led to the Heritage Centre and Baker (now a chemist). The latter tunnel is used by a silent order of monks who once lived on the site and apparently left the local bakery but wanted to avoid contact with the townspeople.Today Ghan House is used as a guest house (wine bar), a ballroom, meeting rooms and cookery school. The current chefs Ghan House’s Stephane Le Sourne and Allan Maynard.
- The spout . Well, built c. 1830. Segment-headed opening, random coursed limestone wall elements, iron and concrete reinforcements to the arc, circular cast iron pipe, cast triangular concrete funnel, moss covered pillars supporting funnel, cast-iron grids to the base. Located in the painted stone wall to the west side of the road. Heritage track plaque in the wall. This unusual piece of street furniture, fed from a natural spring, is one of several features of the historic town of Carlingford.Plaque reads; “This trough and the spring that feeds it, is a rare survival from the time when the public water supply was an important part of city life. Its water once quenched the thirst of people and animals as well as provide water for household chores. “
- Church of the Holy Trinity . Donated by the Church of Ireland Carlingford this restored medieval church is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. Trade show inside story of Carlingford from Viking times to the present period. The video and stained glass windows are popular among visitors. Musical recitals are common. The grounds contain outside a cemetery.
- De Gaulle . Carlingford is a pseudo-historical, comical head known as “De Gaulle”. This feature is located on the south-facing gable of a building on Newry Street. Someone placed a piece of slate on the lid and the ride was born. [ Citation needed ]
- Market Square . Now the main street in Carlingford, this was the area where a weekly market was held with details of its layout dates back to 1358. It is now the intersection of Dundalk Street and the beginning of the River Lane.
Carling railway station opened August 1, 1876, but finally closed on 1 January 1952  when Dundalk, Newry and Greenore railway ceased operations. In 1948 the film “Saints and Sinners” used different places around Carlingford, including a scene in the beginning at the station in a DN & GR trains arrive.A regular bus route serves Carlingford from both Dundalk and Newry (Bus Eireann route 161). There are five weekdays Dundalk travel – all but the last trip of the day earn Greenore Road. There are three trips each weekday to Newry via Omeath. At school there is an additional morning trip to Newry.There is no service on Sundays or public holidays. 
Old railway station påDundalk, Newry and Greenore Railway.
Carlingford also has a marina.
- Thomas D’Arcy McGee (April 13, 1825 Carling – 7 April 1868, Ottawa, Canada) was the first Canadian politician to be assassinated, allegedly by a Fenian. A former radical politicians McGee was a moderate and invited Irish Catholics to deal with complaints by parliamentary rather than physical force methods. [ Citation needed ]
- Peter Boyle (April 26, 1876, Carling – June 24, 1939, Doncaster in Yorkshire, England) was a footballer. Capped five times for Ireland, played for FA Cup winners Sheffield Unitedi in 1899 and 1902nd
- Arthur Moore, recipient of the Victoria Cross
- His Moore (1834-1889), British Army major who received the Victoria Cross during the Cape Frontier Wars
- Reef. Lorcán Ó Muireadais (1883-1941) was a Roman Catholic priest and Irish language activist.
- Daniel Joseph Anthony “Tony” Meehan (2 March 1943 to 1928 to November 2005) was a London -born and raised musician and a founding member of The Shadows, along with Jet Harris, Hank B. Marvin and Bruce Welch; he played drums on all early Cliff Richard and The Shadows hits; Carling buried in the cemetery.
- List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Louth)
- List of towns and villages in Ireland
- Jump up ^ “Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area” (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 reports. Central Statistics Office of Ireland. April 2007. Taken 2011-06-08.
- Jump up ^ “Carlingford” placental Database of Ireland, retrieved December 8, 2011
- Jump up ^ O’Sullivan, Aidan; Breen, Colin (2007). Maritime Ireland. An archeology of coastal communities. Stroud: Tempus. p. 212. ISBN 978-0-7524-2509-2.
- Jump up ^ Philip Dixon Hardy (1832). Dublin Penny Journal. Volume 1, Issue 1 Carlingford. Folds JS. p. 25.
- Jump up ^ “Carlingford station” (PDF). Railscot – Irish Railways.Retrieved 2007-09-14.
- Jump up ^ http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1291382290-161.pdf