Sligo Abbey (Irish: Mainistir Shligigh ), a ruined abbey in Sligo, Ireland, (officially called the Dominican Friary Sligo) was originally built in 1253 by order of Maurice Fitzgerald, Baron of Offaly. It was destroyed in 1414 by a fire, ravaged during the nine years of war in 1595 and once in 1641 during the Ulster rebellion. [ Citation needed ] The monks moved into the 18th century, menLord Palmerston restored the Abbey in the 1850s. Currently, it is open to the public.
It operates in two short stories by William Butler Yeats: The Crucifixion of Outcast , as in the Middle Ages, and The Curse of the fires and the shadowsthat describes its destruction in 1641. 
- List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Sligo)
- Jump up ^ Steven Putzel (1986). Reconstruct Yeats: The Secret Rose and the wind in the reeds. Rowman & Littlefield. pp. 12. ISBN 978-0-389-20600-2.