Lough Ennell (Irish: Loch Ainninn ) is a lake near the town of Mullingar, County Westmeath, Ireland. It is located next to the N52 road, outside Mullingar / Kilbeggan way.  It is approximately 4.5 mi (7.2 km) long and 2 mi (3.2 km) wide, with an area of approximately 3540 acres (14, 3 km 2 ). It has a large area of shallow water with nearly two-thirds of its area (8 m) less than 25 feet, and almost half of it is below 10 feet (3.0 m) deep. Lough Ennell produced Ireland’s largest ever lake trout of 26 pounds (11.8 kg).  Lough Ennell is dotted with islands, many of which have now been linked to the shoreline as the levels of the lake have changed.  The main ~ ~ POS = TRUNC river that flows into Lough Ennell is the river Brosna, entering the earth side of the lake, leaving on the opposite side of Lilliput. Lilliput and Lilliput House was often used by Jonathan Swift as a holiday and place to write, local tradition says that Jonathan Swift was in a boat on the lake when he looked back at Lilliput and noticed how small people looked at that distance, that is the inspiration for its most famous book Gulliver’s travels .Lilliput at the time called “Nure” but after the publication of Gulliver’s Travels locals began to refer to the lake as Lilliput, firm name, and today the area is known as Lilliput.
O’Donovan’s Ordnance Survey Letters trace the beginning of the name Lough Ennell, or as it is known in Irish Loch Ainninn . According to tradition, contemporary Lough Ennell and Lough Owel derive their names from the two brothers, Ainninn and Vair who lived in the lakes. They were the sons of the kings of the Fir Bolg, and it was at their respective lakes Ainninn and Uair died lakes provide their names. Over the years the name was anglicised toLough Inill . The maps were named Lough Ennell, Lough enyne or Lough enyl .When Rochforts took the title as the Lords of Belvedere they tried to change the name Lough Ennell to Lake Belvedere . 
The Loughside has a caravan and camping park, boat hire facilities, hotels and restaurants and fishing. Belvedere House is also an attraction and managed by the County Council, is hosting a number of sporting and cultural events each year, such as concerts and triathlon.
Lough Ennell fishing is part of the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board Fisheries Midland Group handled the water. Trout and pike are the main catches.  More recently, it seems that the stocks of both games and of course fish in the lake has decreased, there is speculation locally that the reason for this.
- Westmeath County Council has banned the use of jet skis on the lake.The ban came into force in October 2006 and currently in force does not speed boats.
- The shores of Lough Ennell host Mullingar Golf Club, the local golf club in the north east of the lake.
- Sea host Triathlons at Lilliput and Belve.
- October 2004
- north east coast
- Early morning summer sunrise
- March 2007
- List of Loughs in Ireland
- Jump up ^ “Lough Ennell”. Discover Ireland. Retrieved 8, 2009.
- ^ Jump up to: ab “Fishing: Lough Ennell”. Shannon Regional Fisheries Board. Retrieved 8, 2009.
- ^ Jump up to: ab “Lough Ennell – name”. Ask about Ireland. Archived from the original on November 23, 2007. Retrieved 8, 2009.