Ferns (Irish: Fearna , meaning “al trees” card Fearna Mór Maedhóg ) is a historic town in the north of County Wexford, Ireland. It is 16 km (10 mi) from Enniscorthy, därGorey Enniscorthy N11 road joins the R745 regional road. The remains of Ferns Castle is in the center of the city.
View of Ferns from the castle tower.
Ferns are thought to have formed in the 6th century, when the monastery was founded in 598 dedicated to St. Mogue of Clonmore (St.Aidan) who was a bishop of ferns.  The city became the capital icon Kingdom of Leinster and also the capital of Ireland when the kings of the south part of the province established its headquarters in power. It was a very big city yet, but shrunk in the fire that destroyed most of the time. The city stretched all the way down and longer than the River Bann (tributary of the River Slaney), if it is not burned, it has been one of Ireland’s largest cities idag.Kung Dermot MacMurrough founded St. Mary Abbey as a house of the Augustinian Canons c. 1158 and was buried there in 1171. 
Ferns Castle, an Anglo-Norman fortress built in the 13th century by William the Earl Marshall. Today, about half of the castle remains. The city also contains 13th century St Edan’s Cathedral (Church of Ireland) this Cathedral is not the original, but the ruins of the original can be found a few meters away from the existing and the existing cathedral today is not fully restored cathedral that was supposed to be (there was order by queen Elizabeth in the construction of its former self of O’Byrnes Wicklow but they only returned part), which is the cathedral today. It can be seen as an artifact and a museum, and of course a church. The tower and the Chapter House was put on in the 19th century. There are also several high crosses and parts of the cross.
The old Catholic Church was at the northern end of town to the 1970s, when there was a roof problems. Parish Priest at the time ordered it, the clearance by the parish to demolish it. A convent is St. Aidan convent of worship now in its stead.
The foundation stone for the new church of St. Aidan was on the Feast of St. Aidan January 31, 1974 the foundation stone is on the northwest corner of the wall of the church at the entrance to the sacristy. The new Catholic church was completed in 1975. During the 2000s, the new church went under a major renovation since it also had a roof leakage problems of the roof and so on, there was an earlier roof problems 15 years after the church was built.They replaced the slate with new composite metal materials, the interior is also renovated and some minor changes were made to the appearance of the building.
A plaque listing the names of parish priests, from 1644, is on the wall to the right of the altar next to the organ. The organ in St.Aidan Catholic Church is more than 100 years old and used to be a “pump” body until the parish changed it into electricity. The pipe organ was transferred from the old church to the new church, and is still in use. Denanglikanska Cathedral and New Catholic Church is open daily Anglican Cathedral – all day and The New Catholic Church – 09:00 until around 4:00, usually or sometimes later on Fridays.
19th century the population reached a peak in 1851, but never reached the levels of the middle ages. Lewis topography of 1834 claimed the town “consists mainly of an irregular street, and includes 106 houses indifferently built, retains no trace of its former significance.”  The Abbey, St. Peter’s Church (Catholic and Anglican), and the rest of the great cathedral considered as holy places and is regarded as the Church still this includes the monastery now has the title of a church and monastery.
See Annals of Inisfallen (AI)
- AI741.1 Kl. The rest of Cúán.u, abbot of Ferna and Flann.Feórna son of Colman, king of Ciarraige Luachra [died].
Religion and heritage
The city gave the name to the Diocese of Ferns (both Catholic and Church of Ireland). The city’s religious traditions live on today through the recent establishment of Ferns in a hermitage.
The whole history of modern Ireland are derived from Ferns – Diarmuid MacMurrough, king of Leinster invited the Normans in 1169 to help him fight his battles (they never left) – he sealed the deal with her daughter Aoife marriage of Strongbow.
Ferns have evidence of four different periods in Irish history. Archaeological excavations have revealed homes of copper, iron, early Christian and Norman eras.
Ferns have many church sites dating from the early Christian period by Norman and medieval times. Ancient monuments include
Ferns Castle (Visitor Centre May to late September – 10:00 to 17:00 Open daily, houses Ferns tapestries)
The tomb king Dermot MacMurrough
Maria in August Abbey
St. Edan’s Cathedral
The remainder of the great medieval Gothic cathedral
High cross Ferns
St. Mogue s Cottage
St. Peter’s Church
St. Mogue s Well
Monument to Father John Murphy (who was born near Ferns)
St.Aidan Church (New Catholic Church)
St. Aidan monastery of worship (monastery in the old Catholic Church site)
For more information about Ferns Heritage http://www.fernsvillage.ie/ferns-heritage-page.html
Ferns is located on the N11 road connecting Dublin to Wexford.
Regular (almost every hour) bus link Ferns to Dublin and Rosslare are provided by a number of companies.
Ferns railway station was opened November 16, 1863, closed for passenger traffic March 30, 1964 and to freight traffic November 3, 1975 before eventually closes completely on March 7, 1977. 
- Anne Doyle – former RTÉ newsreader
- Dermot MacMurrough (d 1171). – Former King of Uí Cheinnselaig and Leinster
- Gordon D’Arcy professional Ireland and Leinster rugby player
- Ferns Inquiry
- List of towns and villages in Ireland.
- Jump up ^ “Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area” (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 reports. Central Statistics Office of Ireland. April 2007. Taken 2011-06-11.
- Jump up ^ “Census of record 1821 figures.” Central Statistics Office of Ireland. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- Jump up ^ “Histpop – Online Historical Population Reports website.”Histpop.Org. 04.02.2007. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- Jump up ^ NISRA. “Census website.” Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. Retrieved 2010-01-28.
- Jump up ^ Lee, JJ (1981). “On the accuracy of pre-famine Irish censuses”. In the Gold Strom, JM; Clarkson, LA Irish population, economy and society: Essays in Honour of the late KH Connell. Oxford, England: Clarendon Press.
- Jump up ^ Mokyr, Joel, O Grada, Cormac (November 1984). “New Developments in the Irish population history, 1700-1850”. The Economic History Review. 37 (4) :. 473-488 doi: 10.1111 / j.1468 -0289.1984.tb00344.x.
- Jump up ^ Blue Guide, Ireland. Brian Lalor. (p248) ISBN 0-7136-6130-5
- Jump up ^ Gwynn, Aubrey; R. Hadcock Neville (1970). Medieval monasteries Ireland. London: Longman. pp. 175-176. ISBN 0-582-11229-X.
- Jump up ^ Lewis, Samuel (1837). A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. Dublin, Ireland: Samuel Lewis. p. 624th
- Jump up ^ “Ferns station” (PDF). Railscot – Irish Railways. Pulled 10/14/2007.