Tory Island , or simply Tory (officially known by its Irish name Toraigh ), is an island, 14.5 kilometers (9.0 miles) off the northwest coast of County Donegal in Ireland. It is also known in Irish as Tory Island or, historically,Oilean Thu Rí . 
The main spoken language on the island is Irish, but English is spoken in order to communicate with visitors. Tory is a part of Donegal Gaeltacht and Ulster Irish is the main Irish dialect in use.
Geography and transportation
The island is about 5 kilometers (3 miles) long and one kilometer (0.6 miles) wide.  The 2002 census recorded a population of 133.    The population is divided among four towns – An Baile Thoir (East Town), An Baile Thiar(West Town), A LAR (Middletown) and Úrbaile (Newtown).  in August 2010, the king of Tory confirmed that there were 96 people living on the island. [citation needed ]
Petrol and diesel are from Tory Oil at prices considerably higher than on the mainland.  [ no citation given ]
Tory has no airport, but has regular ferry services from the mainland, County Donegal.  The ferry travels daily from April to October, five times a week during the rest of the year. The ferry does not take cars, but can accommodate up to 70 passengers.  During the winter months, maritime links not be possible because of rough seas – but from November to March, driving a small 4-seater helicopter from Falcarragh to Tory every other Thursday. [ Needed citation ]
In the apocryphal history of Ireland Lebor Gabála Érenn, Tory Island, was the site of conand’s Tower, a stronghold of the Fomorians, before being defeated by Nemedians in a great battle on the island. The latter Fomorian King Balor of the Evil Eye also lived here.  Balor would imprison Ethlinn in a tower built on top of Tor Mór (or luck mother in the Old Irish, meaning that the high tower). Tor Mór is the island’s highest point.
A monastery was founded on Tory in the 6th century by Colmcille. The monastery dominated life on the island until 1595, when it was sacked and destroyed by English troops wage a war of repression against local chiefs.The monastery’s bell tower is the largest structure in order to survive and was built in the 6th or 7th century. [ Citation needed ]
Early Modern History
In 1608, the siege of Tory Island, one of the last cases of O’Doherty revolt took place when a surviving group of rebels took refuge in the castle, only to start killing each other to secure enbenådning.
The Battle of Tory Island, the last action in the Irish rebellion in 1798, took place in the sea nearby.
“The King of Tory,” Patsy Dan Rodgers, waiting near the harbor welcoming visitors to the island
On October 27, 1914, the British lost their first battleship of World War I: The British super-dreadnought battleship HMS Audacious (23,400 tonnes) was reduced from Tory Island, through a minefield as the armed German merchant cruiser Berlin . The loss was kept an official secret in Britain until 14 November 1918 (3 days after the end of the war). The reduction was witnessed and photographed by passengers on the RMS Olympic sister ship the RMS Titanic .
Since 1950 the island has been home to a small community of artists, and has its own art gallery. The English artist Derek Hill was associated with Tory artist colony. 
Reflects a long tradition, is a “king” was elected by consensus islanders. The current Rí Thoraí (Irish for “King of Tory”) is a painter Patsy Dan Rodgers (Patsaí Dan Mac Ruaidhrí ) .Kungen has no formal powers, but the duties of being a spokesman for the island community and welcoming people to the island. 
The power generated on the island today from three diesel generators. These have a total capacity of 4 MW and burn through about 500 liters of fuel every day. [ Citation needed ]
Public attention was focused on the island in 2009 as a one-time resident received a payout after a trial after his house was demolished and the grounds as a parking space.  In 2015, the island’s only coffee shop destroyed by fire. 
The table below presents data on Tory Island population is taken from theDiscover Islands Ireland (Alex Ritsema, Collins Press, 1999) and census Ireland. Bills in Ireland before 1841 are not complete and / or accurate.
|Source: John Chambers. “Islands – Change in population 1841 – 2011”.Irishislands.info. Retrieved February 22, 2015.|
Tory Island has a number of historical and mythological sites:
- Dun Bhaloir (Balor Fort) is located on the island’s east side. This peninsula is surrounded on three sides by 90-meter (295-foot) cliffs.Fort Balor reached only by crossing a narrow isthmus, defended by four earthen walls. 
- A Eochair Mhor (The big key) is a long, steep-sided spur jutting out from the eastern side of the peninsula and ending in a crag called a Tor Mór (the big rock). Spur has prominent rocky pinnacles – these are called “Balor soldiers” ( Saighdiúirí Bhaloir ). They give the spur a ‘toothed’ appearance and contribute to the name, “The big key.”
- The Wishing Stone is a steep flat-topped rock beside the northern cliff face Balor Fort. Traditionally, a wish granted to anyone foolhardy enough to step onto the rock, or who succeeds throwing three stones on it.
- A Cloigtheach (Bell Tower) is the largest structure to have survived the destruction of the monastery (see history section above). The tower was built in the 6th or 7th century.
- Tau Cross (a t-shaped cross) is believed to originate from the 12th century. It is one of only two Tau crosses in Ireland (the other in Kilnaboy, County Clare).
- Móirsheisear (Grave of the Seven): Móirsheisear, which actually translates as ‘big six’ – an archaic term for seven – is the tomb of seven people, six men and a woman, who drowned when their boat capsized off Scoilt a Mhóirsheisear (the cleft of seven) on the island’s northwest coast. According to local superstition, clay from the woman’s grave has the power to ward off pests. 
- The lighthouse stands at the western end of the island, was built between 1828 and 1832 to a design by George Halpin, a famous designer Irish lighthouses. In April 1990, the lighthouse was automated. The lighthouse is one of three in Ireland where a reference station for Differential Global Positioning System (DGPS) are installed. The lighthouse is at coordinates 55 ° 16.357’N 8 ° 14.964’W
- Torpedo: a torpedo can be seen midway between Baile Thiar and An Baile Thoir. It washed ashore during World War II and defused and erected at its present location. 
Flora and fauna
The island is an important bird area.  It is a nesting site for corn crakes (Crex crex ), a globally endangered species whose numbers have fallen by the intensification of agriculture. In 2007, registered Tory Island 18 calling males, down from a maximum of 34 calling males the past year 2003. In addition to its native bird life, the island records many vagrants. 
Ancient records of the flora and fauna of this island can be found in Hyndman. S notes about the history of the island  Algae are available locally include: Fucus vesiculosus , Fucus nodosus , Himanthalia lorea ,Laminaria digitata , Rhodomenia laciniata , Plocamium coccineum , Ptilota plumosa , Conferva rupestrus , Codium tomtntosum , Codium adha’s The Dr. Harvey. 
The island has no trees because of its high winds. 
- Ireland portal
- islands portal
- List of abbeys and priories in County Donegal
References and further reading
- Hoppa upp till: en b cheating (Gaeltacht Districts) Order 2004
- Jump up to: ab Tory Islanders, a 1978 ethnographic account of R. Fox
- Jump up ^ A place of enchanting beauty – BBC News article
- Jump up ^ CSO.ie – 2002 Census
- Jump up ^ Geological Survey of Ireland – Draft Groundwater Body Report – September 2005
- Jump up ^ Donegal County Council Report – Taobh tires (a better library service for rural areas) – July 2003
- Hoppa upp^ Pumps.ie – Tory Oil, West Town, Tory Island
- Jump up ^ Ferries departurt from Magheroarty and Bunbeg, with occasional traffic from Portnablath. The shortest crossing (Magheroarty to Tory Island) takes about 45 minutes. Oileanthorai.com – Official Tory Island Tourism Site – Travel details
- Jump up ^ Tory Island Ferry, County Donegal
- Jump up ^ GH Kinahan “Donegal Folk-lore. Ballor of the evil eye ” Folk-Lore Journal . Volume 5, the 1894th
- Jump up ^ Funeral arrangements artist Derek Hill – RTÉ News article July 31, 2000
- Jump up ^ “Patsy Dan Rodgers – Tory Island artist, musician and King of Tory, County Donegal” .Patsydanrodgers.littleireland.ie. Retrieved November 10, 2008.
- Jump up ^ Navigator – Tory Island | Island life
- Jump up ^ Telegraph.co.uk – Hotel turned director home to a parking lot – November 11, 2009
- Jump up ^ Tory Island Cafe destroyed by fire
- ^ Jump up to: abc Oileanthorai.com – Official Tory Island Tourism Website – Attractions
- Jump up ^ BirdLife International (2015) Important Bird Areas factsheet: Tory Island. Retrieved from http: //www.birdlife.org on 17 June 2015
- Jump up ^ birds and wildlife in Tory Island, brochure published by BirdWatch Ireland
- ^ Jump up to: ab Hyndman, GC 1852nd . Remarks about the natural history of Tory Island Ulster J.Archaeol. 1 : 34-3
- Hoppa upp^ http://www.bbc.co.uk/irish/articles/view/359/english