Carrick-on-Suir (Irish: Carraig on-Suir , which means “rock of the Suir”) is a town in County Tipperary, Ireland. It lies on both banks of the River Suir.The CSO 2006 Census provides population 5906 (including suburbs or surrounding areas) and shows that it has increased by 5.7% since 2002. It is in the historical barony of Iffa and Offa East.
- 2,1Inverkan Butler family
- 2,220th century
- 3Egenskaper and equipment
- 5klubbar and compounds
- 6Noterbart people
- 7Hänvisar to
- 8Externa links
Carrick-on-Suir is located in the southeast corner of South Tipperary, 21 kilometers (13 miles) east of Clonmel, 27 kilometers (17 miles) northwest of Waterford. Most of the city lies north of the river in the townland of Carrig Mor ( Big Rock ), with the rest of the city on the opposite shore in the townland of Carrig Beg (Small Rock). The city is connected to Limerick ochWaterford the N24 road and a railway line. Carrick-on-Suir train station opened April 15, 1853.  The two trains one day work to Waterford and two trains a day seems to Limerick Junction via Clonmel, Cahir and Tipperary.There is no train service on Sundays. Several buses also run on this route.There is a recently renovated riverside walk Clonmel along a former canal towpath. This has recently been upgraded and replanted.
For the purposes of elections to Dáil Éireann, the city is part of Tipperary South constituency.
The influence of the Butler family
Carrick-on-Suir (originally called Carrig Mac Griffin) was established on an island upstream settlement Waterford. The city remained an island until the 18th century, when small rivers were diverted to form dry land north and west of the city. The earliest known record of a settlement dated to 1247, when a charter for 3 fairs per year was awarded to Matthew Fitzgriffin, Lord of the Manor of Carrick who was a member of the Cambro-Norman nobility.
In the early 14’s, had Carrick Mac Griffin has become home to a thriving Hiberno-Norman family – Butler. The first important leader of Butler clan, Edmond Butler (aka Edmund le Bottilier ) was created Earl of Carrick in 1315.But his son James did not inherit the title. Instead, seven years after his father’s death, he was created Earl of Ormond in its own right. In 1447, Edmund MacRichard Butler founded the first bridge over the estuary of Carrick-on-Suir. Other notable members of the clan Butler Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormond (aka Black Tom ) who built the Tudor Manor House extension Ormonde Castle and James the 12th Earl and 1st Duke of Ormond, who founded the city’s wool industry in 1670th
Edmond le Bottiler erected two large, heavily garrisoned the castle is the name Plantagenet castle on the north bank of the River Suir, just east of what is now Main St. In the 15th century, was a four-towered castle was built on the same site, two of which are now incorporated into the Elizabethan Manor House was built by Black Tom Butler, c. 1560th Manor House still stands today, after undergoing an extensive renovation of the state in the 1990s and is open to the public. The city was also the inspiration for the 16th-century song, Cailín ó Choi on-Suir mé , as certified in 1595 and mentioned in Shakespeare’s Henry V AS Caleño custure me.
In 1649, the city was taken by the English Parliamentarians during the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland. The Carrick caught the sly after discovering an undefended gate as part of the activities during the siege of Waterford. Irish soldiers from Ulster under Major Geoghegan tried to take Carrick but eventually beaten by a loss of over 500 dead.
In 1670 Butler set up a wool industry in the city. By 1799, the city had a certain prosperity from the wool industry, fishing, basket weaving and other river-related businesses – the population was about 11,000 at this point. Over the next 120 years, however, the city hit by high taxes and levies imposed by the British on the wool industry, leading to high unemployment, poverty and emigration. The Great Famine also contributed significantly to the depopulation of the city.
With the coming of independence and civil war, Carrick was initially occupied by anti-Treaty IRA until the city fell to the Free State Army in 1922. By now had industrialization reached Carrick establishment of cotton mills and a local dairy. Most significant, but for the economic development of the city was the arrival of the tanning industry in the 1930s, providing regular, reliable work in the city for the first time. The local council also started to build social housing projects in an attempt to deal with the terrible living conditions in the city for the economically disadvantaged. Despite this development, economic opportunities were limited and widespread poverty – the city saw widespread emigration to Dublin, the UK and further afield especially during the long recession of the 1940s and 1950s.
The closure of Pollack & Plunder tannery in 1985 caused enormous problems in the city, since a significant proportion of the population (Carrick’s population was about 4,000 in this paragraph) was employed there or were dependent on someone who was. Carrick suffered a prolonged recession in the 1980s and early 1990s, again leading to population decline due to emigration – a fate suffered by other small, rural Irish towns during the period. In the late 1990s, the economy of the city was on the rise – the unemployment rate had dropped, the SRAM bicycle component factory had opened that had many small businesses, and the population began to increase again for the first time in two centuries.
Carrick local infrastructure (especially health and transport) are still relatively undeveloped, due to its location on the border of three counties (and subsequent lack of political muscle both county and national level), and the nearby larger towns of Clonmel and Waterford. From 2006, is still no major manufacturing operation in the city – SRAM facility was closed in 2006, but Carrick continues to flourish economically. The population continues to increase, and the city is expanding with major projects in progress Building Construction. The future of Carrick is likely to be a commuter town, service people working in Waterford and Clonmel – a role which it has done for decades.
Features and amenities
There are two theaters in Carrick-on-Suir, Brewery Lane Theatre and Opera Association. While the opera society tends to focus on musicals, operas and pantomimes, Brewery Lane usually dramas that can be serious, and often black comedy. Many of these are Irish.
The river is tidal through the city and turning the tide of Glanbia upstream of Carrick-on-Suir. Flood waters spill on the ground above Glanbia in County Waterford side of the river. Carrick has a 1-in-50-year flood defense system of quay walls vary in height from 1.2 to 1.5. Currently, the walls provide protection against flooding caused by high tides. Carrick is less than 10 meters above sea level and can be affected by global warming in the future.Floods still occur along / Mill River Glen and Markievicz Tce.
In 1447 a stone bridge was built, now known as “Old Bridge”. A new, more modern bridge (later named after John Dillon) was built in the early 20th century. The central part of the old bridge (and likewise Dillon Bridge) was destroyed by the retreating forces of the IRA in 1922 in an attempt to slow down before the Free State army, but both were built by 1927. [ citation needed ]
Carrick City clock was erected in 1784. A public park was created in the fair green in the 1860s. The town fair continues today, having moved from the real green in the 1920s to a new location just west of the Fair Green. [ Citation needed ]
There are three Catholic churches. The largest church in Carrick Mór is St. Nicholas Church Which was built in 1879 and replaced an earlier church of the same name was built in 1804. In Carrick Beg is the small St. Moll era parish church (parts of which date back to the 13th century) and the larger Franciscan friary. The Franciscan order’s presence in Carrick goes back to 1336 with the granting of land for a friary of the 1st Earl of Ormond. But the suppression of the monasteries by Henry VIII led to the closure of the friary.Shortly before the invasion of Ireland by Cromwell had the monks returned for an 11-year period before it was closed again and the brothers to go underground to avoid persecution. It was not until 1820 and the onset of Catholic Emancipation that the monks could return completely and a new chapel was built. The monks served the local community until the shortage of vocations to the decision led to finally leave Carrick-Beg in 2006.
The Church of Ireland community was relatively significant until independence Community Church on Main Street was given until the end of the 1980s, when the church building and grounds were renovated and now serves as a heritage center.
- There are three Gaelic Athletic Association clubs.
- Carrick Davin (named after the first GAA President Maurice Davin) playing in Tipperary GAA area
- Carrick Swans playing in Tipperary GAA area
- St. Moll Eran’s playing in Waterford GAA field.
1904 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship finals played in Carrick-on-Suir. The match was held on Maurice Davin land on June 24, 1906 between Cork and Kilkenny. Kilkenny won by a single point, 1-9 to 1-8.
- Carrick United AFC, is a junior (non-league, amateur) football team that plays in Waterford & District League. The club has had great success in Waterford & District League, Munster Senior and Junior Cups and also in the FAI Junior Cup. [ Citation needed ] the club moved to new grounds in the last 10 years, known as Tom Drohan Park.
- Amateur rugby team, Carrick-on-Suir RFC play in Munster Junior League Division II. Club grounds located east of the city in Tybroughney, County Kilkenny.
- Golf – 18 hole golf course
- Humphreys driving range
- Sean Kelly pool and gym.
- Castle Lawn Tennis Club, with four artificial turf fields.
- Handball and badminton
- Carrick-on Suir handball and badminton Club, Davin Park indoor courts, Clonmel Road.
- Carrick-on-Suir Boxing Club
- St. Nicholas Boxing Club
- Iverk Produce Carrick Wheelers
- Carrick Wheeler Road Club
- Carrick-on-Suir Triathlon Club
Clubs and societies
- Carrick-on-Suir Musical Society (formed in 1943) is a renowned and national award-winning musical and amateur operatic society. The Musical Society recently bought and renovated Strand Theatre on Main Street for the use of the compound. Brewery Lane Drama Society (formed in 1955) performs several major productions a year at its 75 person capacity theater, which was formerly a malt house owned by Smithwicks.
- The Irish Traction Group is based in Carrick-on-Suir, where restoration work is performed on vintage diesel locomotives. 
- Carrick-on-Suir also a Republican Flute Band playing at many Irish Republican Sinn Féin events. 
Notable people from the town include:
- Dorothea Herbert (1770-1829), author
- Clancy Brothers, the influential folk group
- Paddy Clancy, singers, harmonicist
- Tom Clancy, singer, actor
- Bobby Clancy, singer and banjo, guitar, harmonica, and bodhran player
- Liam Clancy, singer, guitarist, concertina player
- Finbarr Clancy, singer, guitar, banjo, flute and bass with folk group The High Kings.
- Maurice Davin, first President of the Gaelic Athletic Association, 1884-1887
- Michael Anthony Fleming, the Roman Catholic bishop in St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada
- Daryl Kavanagh, football player for the St. Patricks Athletic
- Sean Kelly, cyclist
- Sam Bennett, cyclist
- Tom Kiely, Olympic decathlon gold medalist at the 1904 Summer Olympics, from Ballyneal, just outside the city.
- John Lonergan, recipient of United States government has Medal of Honor
- Fiona Glascott, actor
- Mick Roche, former Tipperary hurler
- Jump up ^ “Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area” (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 reports. Central Statistics Office of Ireland. April 2007. Taken 2011-05-21.
- Jump up ^ Census of post 1821 figures.
- Jump up ^ http://www.histpop.org
- Jump up ^ http://www.nisranew.nisra.gov.uk/census
- Jump up ^ Lee, JJ (1981). “On the accuracy of pre-famine Irish censuses”. In the Gold Strom, JM; Clarkson, LA Irish population, economy and society: Essays in Honour of the late KH Connell. Oxford, England: Clarendon Press.
- Jump up ^ Mokyr, Joel, O Grada, Cormac (November 1984). “New Developments in the Irish population history, 1700-1850”. The Economic History Review. 37 (4) :. 473-488 doi: 10.1111 / j.1468 -0289.1984.tb00344.x.
- Jump up ^ “Carrick on Suir station” (PDF). Railscot – Irish Railways.Retrieved 2007-09-07.
- Jump up ^ “Operating Base”. Irish Traction Group. Pulled 01/14/2009.
- Jump up ^ http://www.anphoblacht.com/events/2009-02-12